Tested: Where Does The Sustain Come From In An Electric Guitar?

Tested: Where Does The Sustain Come From In An Electric Guitar?

Marching forward with the electric guitar experiments.

0:00 - What is good sustain?
0:52 - Amp feedback
1:40 - How long should a note be able to ring?
2:42 - Quality of sustain
3:24 - The spreadsheet
4:23 - The amp's role
5:07 - Testing break angle
6:11 - Testing saddle material
7:14 - Testing string tension
8:01 - Testing absence of neck pickup
8:42 - Testing resonant mass
9:50 - Testing the finish
12:18 - But what makes an obvious difference?
14:00 - Outro jam

Tests were done plugging the guitar directly into the computer for a clean signal (except the amp feedback test and neck pickup test).

jimlillmusic.com/sustain for the spreadsheet.

My website is JimLillMusic.com.
I'm @jimlill on instagram.

____

It's really cool to see people enjoying the tone tests video I put out 2 weeks ago.

Sustain wasn't on my mind when I was making it, but there were some people in the comments talking about sustain so I thought I'd spend some time figuring out where it comes from.

It was fun coming up with the tests, trying to find limits and do everything I can to stop the guitar from being able to hold a note. Hopefully people who watch this video will have a better idea of which things play a role in sustain, and how big that role is.

Also, I bought 2 of J.T. Corenflos' cabs on Saturday and the background music for this video is the first thing I've used either of them on.

-Jim, 2/7/22

jim liljim lillguitar

Post a Comment

0 Comments